We all have our own comfort zones, don't we? I know I sure do. And, admittedly, it's not a very big zone. I am definitely a creature of habit and thrive on routine. I get very comfortable with what I do, where I go, etc. etc. In fact I'm one of those people that tend to order the same menu item every time I go to a restaurant. It's what I like and what I know. Sad, I know! :)
But lately I've been getting the sense I need to expand my comfort zone. Dramatically.
You could say this isn't so recent considering it all started over a year ago when we made the decision to sell our house and move. The house I grew up in. The only house I ever knew. Although, problem was, we realized we should have moved years earlier, but it was too hard. Too far out of my zone.
Then we decided to find a new church. And leave the one I'd gone to since I was a child. The only one I'd ever knew.
Both of those have turned out to be good decisions, and I learned a lot about myself through the process.
However, now I've started a transformation process and I think I need to keep going.
I got my degree in marketing and management, but have never used the marketing part of it.
Actually I currently work for a family owned business.
Do we see a trend here? Yeah...small comfort zone. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.
Anyway, I've recently decided I'd like to expand my responsibilities at work and begin to educate myself more about marketing and be able to apply it to my current job. Maybe even lay the foundation for changing careers down the line in order to take full advantage of my potential.
I know it's a slow process, but you have to start somewhere, right?
I've also decided to do the couch to 5K program. We'll see how that goes. I have a friend that started it 8 weeks ago and could barely run for 90 seconds the first week. Now she's doing 3 miles and signed up for a 5K. I'm scared as I am SO not a runner, but I'm hoping to make the same progress. We'll see.
So that's what I've been up to and part of why I haven't been around much. So what about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ally,
I am so proud of you! You are so smart with many talents and I applaud your efforts to put all your skills to use. Maximize your potential, girl!
The couch to 5k program sounds interesting. Of course you can do it if you so desire. Tell me more about it.
Love you,
Marilyn
You go girl! I am also a creature of habit and have a small comfort zone. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll discover great new things about yourself.
C25K isn't that hard, you'll be amazed at what you can do if you stick with it!
I have a "10 minute rule". If I really don't feel like running, I make myself do it for at least 10 minutes, if I still don't feel like it I give myself permission to stop. I have yet to stop, running is the BEST form of stress relief EVER!
YOU CAN DO IT, and the work stuff, too. Because, I know you, and you can do anything you put your mind to. You may have a comfort zone, but you have the determination of steel, too! LOL!
My 5k is this Saturday and I'm scared out of my mind, but just as excited. I can't wait to cross that finish line!!!
Post a Comment