I've seen a lot of info lately on "green" cleaners, and even tutorials on how to make your own cleaners, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, etc.
For those of you who know me, you know I am NOT crafty. I love the idea of being crafty, but all of my "projects" could pass for something one of my kids did.
So I ignored this type of info for a while.
Until I started realizing how much cheaper it'd also be. Green and Frugal sounds good to me. And to be completely honest, the fact that these cleaners are so cheap are what drew me in the most...the fact they are environmnetally friendly is just a bonus.
So far I have made:
my own all purpose cleaner from vinegar and water...it works on everything....in the kitchen, on glass, etc.
Shower cleaner from lemon juice...it works great!
Toilet bowl cleaner from straight vinegar
A sink cleaner in place of soft scrub just using baking soda. It's an abrasive, so it works well, plus it deodorizes
Laundry detergent! Yes, laudnry detergent! This one made me nervous, but I made it and used it and really liked it. It's just a bar of Fels Naptha Soap (I found it at Meijer with the other soaps) grated up with a cheese grater, a cup of washing soda and a cup of borax. That's it. Just shook them together (Myles did that for me) and I use two tablespoons per load.
Fabric softener--just add some vinegar to a downy ball. It also helps whiten the whites.
I can't tell you how nice it is to save so much money on all of those household cleaners, plus just to have less bottles to store. Since we're downsizing, this is just one more way to have less "stuff".
I encourge you all to try any or all of these and see what you think. I promise you, if I can do it, you can too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yay Ally! That is awesome! I'm not making my own detergent yet, but I'm definitely doing the vinegar instead of fabric softener, and I used the dryer balls (the rubber ones with the little nubs on them) to help fluff instead of the dryer sheets. LOVE those! I use vinegar on a LOT of stuff, and I'm so glad you posted about what you are doing with it! Yeaaaa! (I love your blog layout!!)
Wow, you're doing good. I need to try some of these. Thanks. Keep it up!
Hi Ally! Wow, I have missed SO much...you must have moved already, and I am sure you are crazy busy. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and praying for your family during this transition. Love the new Look!
Hi!!! I am missing you. I think this big move hit at the exact same time we were getting out of school. I'll call you tomorrow 'cause I can't wait to catch up. PS ~ This post blows my mind. :) Love you!
Post a Comment