I know there are lots of you out there that will have good advice for this subject, so I thought I'd toss it out to you all.
Myles, who just turned 5 in January, has mentioned several times lately that when he talks to God, God won't talk back.
I've tried explaining to him that he won't hear Him in the same voice that he hears other people in, and at Christmas time Kim gave him a great little talk about listening for God in his heart. While I think he gets it to a point, it's still hard to satisfy that instant gratification that kids are seeking.
I'm wondering what other thoughts or suggestions you all may have.
I want Myles to know God and to learn to ask for guidance and direction and to sing His praises. I want him to have a deep relationship with his heavenly father from a young age, so I don't want him to get frustrated.
There are times I think he gets it and will talk about how God put the stars in the sky and God is watering the grass for us when it rains, but there are times I hear him say "God" and then he'll turn to me and say "See, God never talks back to me".
I don't want to make this a big deal as I'm sure it's pretty typical for 5, but thought I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ally, that is a tough one. I'm not sure...We just tell Eli that God is up in the sky, and that when we pray He hears us, but that he talks differently than we do. We tell him that God gives us parents to keep us safe, food to nourish us, and teachers and our mommies and daddies to help show us right and wrong. I'll keep thinking on it...that is tough...
One thing that has really helped me and that I teach to my kids is that God "speaks" to us through His Word. If my kids have questions about something we look it up in the Bible to see what He has to say about it. It is hard to help them understand that "still, small, voice" but I think using scriptures is a great way for them to learn God's heart and they can use this for the rest of their lives!
Thanks Kimberly, that's a great point.
Just this morning in the car he was talking to God and telling him what he was thankful for. It was so cute.
And then he asked me if Jesus is still a baby or if he grew up.
I just love hearing him talk about his heavenly Father!
I have told Aiden that God is in the details. The sunset, the perfect summer day, pretty flowers, etc. I tell him that we can talk to Him, but He may not always answer with words, but that we see signs of Him every single day.
Post a Comment