As I was taking down the tree and decorations today I was a little sad, realizing this will be the last Christmas I'll ever spend in this house. What makes it even sadder is that I have literally spent every Christmas of my life in this house, besides my college years. It's a little odd.
As a child we'd go to a Christmas tree farm every year to cut down our own tree. Later on we may have just gone to a lot, but the tree was always real. Derrick and I also had a real tree, up until the December before Myles was born. A friend of a friend sold us the artificial tree we have now for a great deal, and although I was a little sad at not having a real one, the realization I was 9 months pregnant with my first child made all that sadness worth it. I didn't want the hassle or up keep of a real tree not knowing when Myles would be born.
We've since come to really like our tree, and even though we don't have the original box it was no big deal as we had the garage. But I think we've (read I...Derrick knew this a long time ago) realized I'm going to have to get rid of it. We don't know for sure where we'll be next year, but chances are storage space is going to be very limited and there isn't going to be room for our big space-taking artificial tree to be kept the other 11 months of the year. (I think I've already filled up all of our closets and under-bed space in my head and we haven't even packed yet).
So, today I ran to Target and got two 6' artificial trees that are in a super skinny box for 6 dollars each. I'm sure the trees will also be skinny and plasticy, but maybe the fact we'll have two we'll make up for it. You know me...the more Christmas stuff the better. And hey...my new saying for all of these little things I'm thinking of that I may not like when it comes to moving, or any difficult season in life for that matter is..."It's not permanent". Soon I'll be able to go get another (bigger and better!!!) tree.
So, if anyone needs a nice artificial tree, let me know. We have one we need to part with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Guess what?! We could use your tree, if it is 6' or so-don't have a lot of clearance here. Let me know. Then you could come "visit" it!
Marilyn
Your post made me sad! I know things will work out for you though with your move and new 'adventure.' Miss you SO much. Sorry I won't be able to come into town for Myles birthday and glad you understand why.
Love you,
Mom
Hey Ally! You are making such great memories.... And, though it's sad ~ what an exciting adventure to begin a whole new season of life. Can't wait to see all that 2009 has in store for you!!! PS ~ I think I'm going with the Christmas should be celebrated ALL year long motto.... not sure when our trees will come down! :)
Post a Comment