Or maybe it's just more of a question for you all. Just something I'm struggling with in my heart and thought I'd throw out to you.
When the bible tells us that we need to have complete faith and trust in God, and we really want to do that, yet we still find ourselves asking questions and feeling anxious, how do we rectify that?
How do we get ourselves to the point that we trust in God's plan, his timing, and realize that he has control over everything and stop questioning "what if's" and "whys" and whens"?
Is that something that even people much further down the spiritual journey path continue to work on, or at some point does it just "click"?
It's so easy to do when things are going well, right? Although maybe that's not even the case. How often do we really stop to praise God and thank him for all of the things that do go well in our lives? Or do we just accept it, not even realizing we've just been blessed and go one with our daily routine?
When things feel uncertain or rocky though, it's so easy to question what the plan is and how things will work out. It's true in so many circumstances. Obviously it fits in our case with Derrick looking for a job, and our house being for sale, but that's just one small example.
Why is it so easy to just accept the good things in life with little realization or acknowledgment that it even happened, yet the uncertain or seemingly negative things seem like such a "crisis"?
If we truly believe that our maker holds us in the palm of his hand, that he is the shelter right by our side, and that he guides every step we take along our journey, why do we forsake that in hard times, and fall back on old ways of doubt and fear?
It seems to me as though it would be like holding on to a life preserver while walking on dry, safe land, but panicking and throwing it aside when you get in deep water? Isn't that when we need to hold on the tightest?
For God *is* our life preserver, isn't he? So why do we cast him aside and start feeling negative about the path we're on just because it isn't all smooth sailing?
God, I ask you to hold on to me even during the times I unconciously am trying to cast you aside. Please know that I want to grow with you and learn to trust you during good times and bad. Help me learn to recognize and praise you for the good things in life, and to look at anything I may view as negative through different eyes.
I know that through you anything is possible. Even something that may seem impossible to us.
On this 7th anniversary of the eve of 9/11 please be with all of those that were affected by that tragic day, and with everyone that has since been affected by the after effects.
God, I know you can take the bad things this world throws at us and use them for good. Help us all to see that good a little more often, God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great thoughts and some I wrestle with too. For me, I've realized that I have not wanted to do the work to grow in Him. And, that work is reading and KNOWING His Word ~ the Bible. That takes time and dedication. And, I'm lazy about it. Or I say it's too late for me. Any excuse. But really that's the most important way we grow and know Him. The second is prayer ~ time dedicated to talking with Him daily. And third is fellowship with other believers. But, when it's all said and done ~ I have 24 hours like everyone else. I make sure I shower everyday, yet not have time for my Savior. It's all priorities. So, I whine that I am not further in my journey, but the reality is... I just don't make the effort! Can you tell this is something on my heart right now? :)
I understand completely your thoughts on this subject. We praise God in good times and really notice His hand at work when things are good, but wonder "what the heck" when times get rough.
It sort of reminds me of a quote from Evan Almighty... I've never seen the movie but heard someone use the quote. Something about asking God for patience. God will not give us patience but an opportunity to choose to be patient. Maybe He continues to allow circumstances to happen until we choose to accept and move forward.
I really am not anyone to explain, predict or judge anything. All I know is that I am on that same path trying to know God and build my relationship with Him.
It's funny the knowing His Word ~ the Bible comment. That really does take dedication. I find myself staring at a page and having to read it over and over and over again and still asking "WHAT?" I heard someone say once that if you have trouble sleeping, read the bible. The Devil does not want you to build that relationship and he will put you right to sleep. So true!!!
There have been other times though when I've read something and the holy ghost has quickened it to me. Gave me an ah ha moment. I love those!
Anyway, continue to read and always ask God to open your eyes to what He is ready for you to absorb. It will slowly start to make sense.
Many blessings to you on your journey and thanks for reminding me that I need to move forward on mine.
Post a Comment