Sunday, September 7, 2008

What will you be able to say?

That is a question I've been thinking about since we left church. It was another upbeat and inspirational service with another singer who nearly had me in tears with her voice and her message.
And the pastor was discussing that he wants this church, our church, to be about changing lives. To get involved with each other to "do life" and make it better...and inspire real changes.
But considering the bible says we were not put here to be served, but to serve, it's not just about those of us inside the church. It's about reaching out to others and helping to change their lives.
So, one day when you're hanging out with Jesus and he asks you "what did you do with your time on earth", what will you be able to say??
If you're anything like me, it made me realize that much like the song that was sung today said "I've wasted so much time, but I want to turn it all around".
I want to set a vision for my life...who I'd like to be as a wife and a mother, what I believe success is, and launch a plan to get there. I want to not be afraid to try something "in case it doesn't work". I don't want to believe the lies the enemy tells me. My eyes are slowly opening to what happiness means to me, and I want to learn to enjoy every minute. I'm going to stop saying I'll "try" to do something and say I *will* do something. You either do or you do not. There is no try. Even if you fail, you still did it.
As I was sitting there listening, I realized I don't want to limit myself to doing something a specific way or being a certain way because that's how someone else did it. It doesn't matter how our friends, our neighbors, our siblings, our parents, or anyone else does something. We don't need to parent the same way, be a spouse the same way, or reach for the same level of success. We are all different...we don't get involved in the same things, we don't value the same things, we don't have the same desires. God made each of us unique, and success is going to look differently for each of us. Success as a parent, success as an employee, success as a spouse, and success as an individual. Once we let go of the way "it should be" and "the way it was" and embrace the individuality God gifted all of us with, we can begin to be truly happy.
Is it me, or is that such a relief? A huge weight off my shoulders I didn't even realize I was carrying. I know I can't be the only one that tries to do something in some way just because someone else is doing it or because that's they only way I've seen it done.
The girl that came to church today travels all over singing. She was sharing her story, about how she was raised the daughter of a minister and they lived pretty meagerly. However, she happened to marry someone very successful financially. He owned his own car dealership. But one day they felt a calling to do something different. And because of that calling, he sold his car dealership, they sold their big house, and they now run a group for underprivillages kids age 9-12. She gives them voice lessons and her husband spends time with the boys teaching them about character. In fact, he went from owning his own car dealership to detailing cars to survive. He recently turned down a 150K dollar job offer because they wouldn't be able to continue their mission.
Yet, other people probably viewed them as successful before. I'm sure a lot of people thought they were crazy when they sold everything and again when he turned down that job. But, contrary to what we hear on earth think, money isn't what makes you successful.
Think about it...when they get to meet Jesus and he asks them what they did with their time...think about what a story they will have. God has blessed them for what they have done and the sacrifices they have made, and they are happier now than ever.
The pastor today was talking about his father who is also a pastor and he was talking about how different their "styles" are. He could have tried to go out and preach the way his father did, but God didn't give him the same personality and abilities. He gave him his own unique spiritual gifts. Dorrien's (our pastor's) goal is to get everyone involved because like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. He is all about inspiring change in every body's life.
I was doing looking at the church website this weekend and realized he got the calling to plant his own church in October 2006. Exactly when Gina was born. Interesting.
So...what are your gifts? Are you using them? Or are you just doing things they way you think they "should be done"? How will you answer Jesus' question???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. Great post Allyson.

I've wrestled some with this... and at times danced around doing what I know God wants me to do ~ Usually bc I am a control freak and want to do things my way.

Thanks for giving me something to chew on as I get ready to turn in tonight.... Love it!

Anonymous said...

We had a women's prayer breakfast Sat. and the speaker is the chaplin at the local hospital. Marvelous time! She talked about prayer and referred to Jesus's prayer in Gethsemane and how he asked his disciples to stay awake just one hour to pray with him and they fell asleep-how hard we are on them-can't stay awake one hr. to pray with Jesus?! But, how many times does someone ask us to pray for them and we say "yes" and then life gets busy and it never happens. Later we meet that person and they thank us for our prayers-they really helped-and we, like all good Christians-lie and say, "You're welcome" when, in reality, we totally forgot! Isn't that the same thing? God plays "gotcha" with me once again and wins!
We must remember that the power of our prayers aren't in the words we say or the answers we get, but in the sovereignty of God. He knows all and will make the right decision-He can do nothing else. Do I trust the sovereignty of God or am I still foolish and immature enough to think I have all the answers? Sadly, I think I know how I usually answer that question.
Marilyn