Sunday, August 10, 2008

I think we found our church home!

We've gone a couple of times to Compass Community Church and really like it, and have both said that we have connected more here than anywhere else.
Last week they discussed an opportunity to mentor students at Winton Woods with their math and science skills. Derrick and I were both interested, but coudln't make the hours work.
So we were pleased today when we heard of another opportunity to help. They have purchased back packs and have included a list inside of school supplies that are needed. So we took one home with us and purchased all the supplies. It cost me less than 20 dollars, and it felt so good. I'm glad we were able to help someone less fortunate.
I even got to thinking that I wish I could find a way to donate even more. Most of what they needed was so simple and cost so little. (There were about 3 items that cost the majority of the money, everything else was less than a dollar!) If any of you have any suggestions on how to collect more school donations, let me know.
But Derrick and I have really enjoyed the church, and I think the kids do as well. It's small (probably less than 200 people), but everyone seems so close and just so "real". I'm so glad to have found a place where we all feel so comfortable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great news! Enjoy your new "home". We'd love to visit with you sometime!

You are awesome to bless all those kids with such a great ministry. The only suggestion I have for school supplies is hitting places like Wal-Mart that are known to be the cheapest.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remembered your 2nd question: Yes, the show is Life Today. Beth Moore is on Wednesdays only. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories...school shopping. I am happy to hear you have found a church where you feel at ease!

I would like to visit, too, when I am in town!