Friday, June 20, 2008

10 years and our wildlife adventures.

Wow. 10 years. It's hard to believe that ten years ago today Derrick and I were married. It doesn't seem possible. 10 years and 2 beautiful children later, here we are.
We haven't done anything "official" to celebrate yet, but plan on going out next weekend for a nice dinner alone, and when mom comes in town in mid-July, we plan on doing a combo anniversary/birthday celebration and spending the night away while G-ma watches the kids. It'll be our first ever night away!

On a completely different note, we had quite the "incident" tonight. We recently confirmed the fact that some racoons have decided to make our home their home. I was going to go out to the car last night to get something out of it and saw a furry little critter by our gutter. I swear he waved to me. I'm so glad I was inside and saw him through the door. I stood there staring at him in a state of scared shock.

Today, about 6:00, I opened the front door to go out with the kids and there, right on our porch, right by the front door was another one. Myles now has a funny story to tell about his mommy literally screaming and then yelling at him to shut the door and get in the house. He got quite a kick out of that and has re-enacted it several times. I now know where Gina got her "squeal" from. And aren't these stupid things NOCTURNAL animals?? Last time I checked 6 pm during daylight savings time does NOT qualify. I'm telling you, it's messing with me.
Meanwhile, I about fainted in the folyer. Everyone says they are more scared of me than I am of it, but I believe that would be impossible. And I don't care what anyone says, that thing was NOT scared of us. It just stood there, probably saying "whatcha gonna do about it"? That's when a hunting dog comes in handy. I will no longer go anywhere without Max. Raccoons may not be scared of me, but they ARE scared of him. If anyone ever finds me passed out somewhere around the house, you can be pretty sure I saw a raccoon. I'm not so sure that thing wouldn't chase me down the block even if I took off running. More scared of me than I am of it. I don't think so.

I swear I can't get out of this house fast enough. I have not yet figured out how to have Max help me INTO the house when I'm coming home from somewhere. I'll have to give that one some thought. For now, I'm just grateful that I haven't carried out my plans of downsizing the number of pets we have as I've often threatened. But I will say, that if one of those things ever comes out and fights with him (and they might...they're probably just lifting weights during the day to build up their strength) the dog is on his own. I'll do what I can do from the safety and secruity the INSIDE of the house provides. However, if one ever finds it's way into the house I will surely die of fear, and it'll make for quite the interesting obituary.

I now feel like I need to go wash my hands or take a shower or something. Does anyone else feel like they are being watched??? *shudder*

No comments: