Sunday, May 11, 2008

An update on our "church hopping"

This morning we went to Fairfield Church of Christ. My sitter grew up going to that church, and her family still does.
I cannot say we fell in love with it at first sight. However, we did both really like it. I think this one is at least worth devoting some time to before we decide for sure.
Both of the kids did great. When we picked Gina up we caught her still having a tea party with one of the care takers. It was so cute! They said she did great, which is not very common for her in a new place, so that was very encouraging.
We then went to pick up Myles. One of the teachers in there was a man, and he told us that he and Myles had bonded. Myles agreed (silently) and gave him a high five on the way out. Also a pleasant surprise and reaction for Mr. Slow to Warm Up.
The sermon was much more similar to John Wesley, which was a good thing, especially for Derrick. Today probably wasn't a "typical" Sunday for them since it was Mother's Day, but we did both enjoy it. It's always a little odd and uncomfortable being in a new place, not familiar with the structure of it all.
I would ultimately like to connect with other people my age, and I was a little surprised at how many older people were there (I don't mean older as in "older than us"...I mean older, like in their 70's), but there were some younger couples there as well. They also offer a lot of small groups, and that's probably where we'll connect.
Everyone was very warm and welcoming, and the fact the kids had a great time goes a long way with me.
So that's our update for now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys gave the new church a try. It takes a while to find that right fit in a church home. I second getting involved in the small groups, Dan and I are finding it a great way to connect at our church.
I meant to call you yesterday to wish you a Happy Mother's Day, but we didn't get home last night until after 9:00pm CST. So anyway, Happy Mother's Day! LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you that you are determined to find the church home God intends you to be. And, it's so important that it is a place you all four feel at home. Good for you to go on this search....

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I know you all will find a church that is a good 'fit' for you and your family! I found that when things got really stressful for me around 10 years or so I went back to church. It helped me immensely to turn my problems over to someone higher up. I still struggle but have the faith that I am able to take things one day at a time and everything will be okay....or work out the way it is meant to....even though it may not be the way I would like it.