Sunday, March 30, 2008

Feeling guilty

Today being Sunday, we should really be getting ready to go to church. But that is no small feat with an 18 month old that still naps (at the wrong time to make it to service on time). Last week when we went Myles went to Sunday school, but was confused why Mrs. Stewart, his regular preschool teacher, was not there. We had talked about that in advance, but he was still diappointed, and apparently very quiet the entire time. This was after he spent the first part of the church service holding his ears and saying how loud the music was. (Although it was pretty loud).
Gina cried while I was leaving and followed me out the door...girl can be fast when she wants to be! I had to give her a little shove and shut the door. Nice, huh? And she spent the entire time being held and rocked and looked totally dejected when I picked her up. Her expression was like she had just been abandoned for life.
So yes, we could go today. But I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. I know that's bad. I know it'd get better if we just keep going. But come each Sunday morning I find myself having an internal debate over whether or not we're gonna go. Today I think we're leaning towards no.
However...in an effort to do something productive I think I'm going to start a gratitude journal on here. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and just haven't started. I think this could be a good place, and maybe will inspire you all to even do the same.
When I was given the idea of doing this, I was told to try to list three or four things each day I'm grateful for and to not repeat them for as long as possible. I think this will help keep me thinking positively and being thankful for what I DO have, instead of thinking about what I don't.
And in the mean time...there's always next Sunday, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ally ~ Tim and I are in a similar situation. We've found ourselves not being regular attenders these last couple of months. And, we've had to ask ourselves why. We like our church (love the ministries it sponsors and the heart behind it). But, we realize the style isn't exactly Tim's thing. And, most importantly ~ we haven't connected with others. We have some friends, but we aren't in a small group or Sunday school class. And, until we've plugged in somewhere and connected, we won't truly think of our church as "home". So, after much prayer, we realize we may need to go in search of another church.

I'm not sure if you've connected at your church... but, you may consider looking into a small group or Sunday school class. I know it's hard enough to get everyone there & adding time spent at church on Sunday morning can be a lot. But, being plugged into and feeling at home at church is so worth it. It can be a wonderful network of friends and support.

God doesn't want us to go to church out of guilt or as something to check off our to-do list. And, He knows this is a terribly busy time in your life. But, He does want you to be in a community of believers who can encourage you and build you up.... for your own well-being.

In the meantime, when there are times you just don't make in on Sunday morning... we like to do church at home! Crank up K-Love (104.3) or other praise music, and have bible and devotion time together (like this one = http://www.amazon.com/Gotta-Have-God-Devotions-Boys/dp/1885358962).

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing! I love the idea of your gratitude journal!!! I am VERY grateful to have you as my sister!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions, Kim. Those are some great ideas.

Anonymous said...

Ally,

I agree with Kim...I was raised Catholic and 'guilt' is part of my vocabulary...my sister and I talk about that a lot.

P.J.s sound good to me too! I have decided I am going to slow down and do what I want to do (within reason) instead of trying to please everyone else....which will be tough for me.

I have learned so much from you both!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Ally, I am with you 100% on that. It's so hard to get up and get everyone ready, looking presentable, and show up on time - all the while remembering diapers, wipes, bottle, etc. We (I don't know if I should say fortunately or unfortunately) I probably should say fortunately, found a WONDERFUL church that we have really grown quite attached to. The unfortunate part is that we've been here all this time and have missed out on so much of it. But at least we can savor the next 6 weeks or so that we do have here. The important part for me is the example that our lives have on the boys. I don't know...I just NEED them to be in worship and Bible class to feel like I am nourishing their mind scripturally. I feel like I've done a terribly poor job of that in the past. If you read my blog from last night, you will kind of get my feelings on that topic.

You are a great example...a LOVING example for your children, and they see God in your actions every day. Love ya girl! I'm excited about getting to meet up with you tomorrow!!
Ciao!!