As I was driving back to work after picking up lunch yesterday I had some insightful thoughts I figured I'd share.
It all started as I was reflecting back on some unexpected expenses we've had this month...things that have really added up. Fortunately because my husband received an "extra" paycheck this month we were able to cover them all. It dawned on me how that's happened several times lately...unexpected expenses have all occurred at a time we had money coming in not accounted for in our budget. Praise God.
Then I got to thinking about how I'm so grateful that things have worked out this way, as not long ago it seemed the exact opposite...everything would happen at the worst possible time.
The only problem is, we haven't been adding to our savings as planned. We both really want to buy another house as soon as we're able, and we are trying to save as much money as we can in order to make that happen.
That's when it dawned on me.
How God must perceive these thoughts of mine---The "I'm happy with what I have, but if only I could have *this* things would be better" thoughts.
It made me think about things in the context of a parent/child relationship.
It made me remember all the times my kids drive me crazy because no matter what they have, how much we do for them, how much we sacrifice for them....they always want more. They want to do one more thing.
Isn't that so frustrating as parents??? I can't help but think "We work to give you clothing, food, and shelter. You have so many toys. You have so much. But you're still not happy. You still want something else.
(And we all know that often times, even if we get them what they so badly want, they don't really appreciate it, play with it or take care of it. They just take it for granted. Because they think they desersve it).
When I go through this with my kids, I've even caught myself thinking...and saying...why would I give you anything else when you're not even grateful for what you already have?
Did you catch that?
WHY WOULD I GIVE YOU ANYTHING ELSE WHEN YOU'RE NOT EVEN GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.
Hello, reality check. Nice to meet you.
It made me realize that while I know I should be grateful for what I have, and as much as I try to convince myself to be grateful, that deep down, I'm really not. I still want more. I'm still not satisfied.
There was a time, not even a year ago that things were SO uncertain. Derrick was out of work, we weren't sure when that would change, if we'd be able to keep our house, what we were going to do.
Yet, just a short time later so much has been turned around. So much has been settled and worked out...and IN OUR FAVOR.
Yet I catch myself still wishing for more. Okay, so we can pay our bills, and we can cover these unexpected expenses, and we both have jobs, and our kids are healthy and.......
But I still want to be able to save.
I think this was the first time I thought of it in this context. I will never achive everything I want to until I learn to be grateful...truly grateful...for what I already have.
Because what's the point of giving us more when we don't even appreciate what we've already been given?
Lord, please help us to realize what we already have. And to be truly grateful for it. Thank you for everything you've given us, everything you've done for us...especially those things we may not have even been aware of that you did for us. Help us to realize what we really need, and what is really important.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
VERY well said, and oh so true.
Oh my, yes! I am so much better off than most of the people in the world.
I heard it put this way. We sing the song, "God is all I need, He is everything to me." But, I truly should sing that then add, "Except this blouse, and those shoes, and that appliance, etc." I recently saw a sign that said "My yearnings far exceed my earnings." Oh yes.
I find that the more obedient I am to God's will the less my will and wants control.
Love you,
Marilyn
Thank you for posting this...I needed to read that today. Definitely spoke to me...
Post a Comment