Friday, March 13, 2009

Our trip to Urgent Care

Yesterday morning when Myles woke up Derrick and I noticed his ear and neck were red. Seemed strange, but I thought maybe it was just from the way he was sleeping.
He said it itched, but I was in denail and thought maybe it was just because we brought attention to it.
He went to the sitter and while all the redness went away he had a very rough, emotional day. We weren't even sure he should go to school. He said he'd be okay though so he went and then came home and took a nap at the sitters.
I got there to pick them up as he was waking up. My sitter warned me not to be alarmed, but that Myles needed to go to a doctor.
I saw him and was pretty scared. His face--eyebrows, nose, lips, mouth, ears, neck were red and rashy and had raised bumps. He lifted his shirt and showed me his side, and it looked the same way. And he couldnt' stop scratching.
I took him to a Take Care clinic inside of Walgreens, which I've used many times before and had a good experience.
When we got inside she asked him to take his coat and shirt off, and I almost cried. His whole torso, back, and arms were covered in this horrible rash and he had welts everywhere.
She looked at me and explained she couldn't treat him there and that I needed to get him to Urgent Care.
Fortunately, there is a children's urgent care very close and we were one of the first ones there, so we didn't have to wait long to be seen.

I was very worried about him as the Nurse Practitioner at Take Care said she was concerned about his throat swelling and affecting his airway and I just couldn't understand what this was and why it was spreading so fast.

Turns out it was something pretty minor and very common. Hives.

Seems silly now. But I had never seen hives covering a person like that. I had MRSA a couple months ago and before I knew that's what it was I went to the same clinic. I kept thinking...if they can treat MRSA and can't treat this it must be really bad. I'm so thankful it was only Hives.
We still don't know what caused it---they suspect Strep although the rapid strep test came back negative, but I don't think that's it'. He's old enough to say his throat hurts.

We ended up being there until after 8 o'clock. We hadn't been home, so the kids hadn't eaten, I had no diapers for Gina who was soaking wet, and it was past there bedtime. It was just a miserable night.

This morning I let the kids sleep until they woke up on their own and then gave them a bath and went into work a little late. My sitter has already called though and said he's just miserable. Not necessarily from the hives, I think he's just tired. He keeps telling her he just wants to go home and sleep in his own bed. He asked her to call me and when I talked to him the first thing he said is "Mommy, I'm grumpy".
I feel so badly for him. Poor guy. I'm hoping he gets to feeling better quickly and am thankful it's the beginning of the weekend so he can rest and recover at home.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh, Ally! He must feel so bad, poor little guy!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, I have been so behind this week, I haven't done much blogging.

Those pictures were taken with a Kodak Z712, I think it shoots pretty well, BUT it was a little over $200 a few years ago AND it takes batteries-
HUGE NEGATIVE! I am still saving (FPU style) for a Nikon D80, which is what most of the other photos on my blog were taken with.

I like Nikon (in my opinion, they have the best lenses-they amplify the color that your eye sees). I think their pocket size is called a "Coolpix." Also, the Sony Cybershot is always very well rated but it is at the higher end, price wise. Kodak has caught up a lot with their features to be competitive and almost always has a lower price. I am happy with the results I get, but again, HATE that I have to replace batteries! I think you could probably get a 8MP Kodak for around $100...

I saw that you aren't too far away from me in Cincy...if you have any Click or Cort camera stores, they are great references to ask questions and help you figure out what you need, ie: features, accessories, prices. Then you can always shop one of the super stores for a better price.

Hope that helps, although it sounds like you have your hands full with your little boy. Praying that he will feel better soon and did you ever figure out what he had a reaction too?

Ally said...

Thanks so much, Kimberly. I just saw you were in Ohio...where are you?
I appreciate your help. I also hate having to replace batteries.
For some reason though even my other cameras eventually stop holding a charge. I currently have an Olympus FE something. I just got it about 2 years ago and it's already basically broken and won't hold a charge.
I may look into the Nikkon coolpix.
I wanted to send you a private email, but wasn't sure how to do it or to tell you how to email me without spellling out my address here.

BTW, no, we never figured out what the reaction was from. apparently, from what I read online at askdrsears.com (my fave doctor) about 70% of cases of hives in children never have the root cause found. Weird.

Kimberly said...

Ally, I added my email in my contact section of my profile page, I couldn't email you directly either. Shoot me an email and we can talk more...

Anonymous said...

I guess Myles and I have to do a lot of things alike. I got stung by a bee on Thursday and it is itching like crazy (nothing like his itches though.) I am on benadryl and cortizone too. Hoping Myles if feeling better?

Anita said...

Oh Boy! What an adventure....I came back from Mexico covered in hives...I'm thinking it was the "seafood" pasta I had last Saturday night....

I'll call you tonight if I have time, tons of laundry and cleaning to do after being gone a week!

Hope Myles feels better soon, poor little man.

Stacey Cannon said...

I'm so sorry!!! Poor lil guy! I hope he's back to normal now!!! ((HUGS))