Thursday, February 5, 2009

A moment of clarity

This morning as I was coming into work I was listening to K-Love and the song "How Great is our God" came on.

For some reason whenever I hear this song I envision myself being at church and hearing everyone there sing this song together. This song feels like a "victory song" to me, because for those that have been through trials and tribulations (and who hasn't), this song seems to be a time to reflect on what God has done in our lives to get us through those tough times. People get very "into" this song when it's played at church. Everyone sings just a little louder.

But that led me to thinking.....(or maybe open to HEARING)

When you've gone through those tough times and you get to "the other side" it's easy to praise God for what he's done. You've seen the outcome and you realize that God has gotten you through yet another tribulation.

But I had an important realization today when this song came on.

Nothing miraculous happens on the day that you feel like the turbulence in your life has ended. God has been working "behind the scenes" the entire time and just happened to choose this moment to finally REVEAL that plan to you.

He's finally let you in on what he's been up to!!!

He's allowed you to finally see the whole picture and not just the pieces you had when you were struggling. You realize why things happened the way they happened. He's brought you to "the other side" of the problem. Allowed you to look back and see the situation with clarity.

As he saw it all along.

And his timing is perfect. Maybe there was a reason he couldn't reveal the end of the story to you while you were going through it. Maybe it would have changed something we would have done...perhaps we would have gotten lazy or too comfortable to even pray had we known how it was going to end.

But here's the thing....the whole time you were going through the tough times God was right there by your side. This is when he was doing all the work behind the scenes. Moving all of the pieces of the puzzle around so they'd fit just right.

This is when the miracles are happening!!!

He just hasn't revealed them to you yet.

I get it now.

Trusting in the fact that he is right by your side DOING THOSE MIRACLES is the definition of faith.

Knowing that he's not left you or forsaken you and that he does have a plan. And he's working on it right now.

All you have to do is trust in him and rely on him and believe in the work he's doing....until the day comes that in his perfect timing he chooses to reveal that work to you.

I think this is something God needed me to get. Needed me to understand. I think that's why I (we) are going through some of what we're going through right now. I continue to SAY I believe in him, yet I'm still worried about the outcome. Wondering what will happen. Seeking advice from others looking for the "right" answer. Losing sleep at night wondering what else we should be doing.

I think that worry is a sure sign that no matter how much you SAY you trust in Him that clearly you aren't. Or why would you have the need to worry about the outcome?

I get it.

And just to send shivers up your spine (at least my spine) I have to share this. I've heard that song a million times. And I enjoy it and sing along with it.

But the point about his PLANS was just pressed upon my heart today. The fact that the praise shouldn't ONLY be given on the day those plans are revealed. But all the days the plans are actually HAPPENING.

THE TOUGH TIMES.

Do you know what my scripture memory was for this month? Chosen by "random" I might add.

For I know the PLANS I have for you said the Lord. PLANS to PROSPER you and not to harm you. PLANS to give you hope and a FUTURE". Jeremiah 29:11

I get it Lord. And I trust in your plans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Ally! That was inspirational, thank you! (Oh, and I love that song, too. We sing it at church all the time.)

Anonymous said...

This is a great post to hear your heart! Hope you guys are doing great... looking forward to chatting soon!!! Hugs, Kim

Anonymous said...

I've been struggling with that lately myself. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the struggles we are going thru and not praise Him like we should. Frankly I tend to get a bit "huffy" and wonder "why me". I know there is a reason, and I just need to trust that there are no surprises to my God...he knows the tribulations that I will face. That is so hard. That was so inspirational Ally...You are such a blessing.