The bible study I was doing ended a couple of weeks ago, but the group decided to get together tonight as a celebration. We all went to Riley's restaurant in Greenhills. It was a great opportunity to get to know some of them better and just have a good time. Janice, the pastor's wife, was there and I just really like her. They have two boys, ages 2 and 4, so we have a lot in common. She had her boys with her and it was nice to be able to see them since they are normally in Sunday school and have a chance to talk with her.
I had to tell her that I was not laughing *at* her as she struggled with the boys, it was simply that I knew I would have been going through the same exact thing if my dynamic duo was there. Moms, especially those with kids the same age, always just have an immediate connection.
While there, I ended up having a conversation with the woman sitting next to me that was almost identical to a conversation with Kim yesterday...a conversation about reading the bible.
When things like that happen I don't think it's coincidence, I think it's a message. So I became inspired to start reading my bible to learn and get answers to some of the questions I've had. I was given some good advice and tips on where to start, and I think it's going to be good, and much needed.
If any of you have any other tips...a good book to start on, ways to make it more meaningful, etc, please feel free to share. I know there a million ways to go about it, but I was thinking that given the season I'd start with the first book in the new testament and see where that leads me.
I think I need some sort of Bible 101 class...a Bible for Beginners so to speak to lay out all of the basic, simple things so I don't feel so lost and so far behind. But, since the bible I have has an introduction to each chapter as well as study notes, I think I just need to dive in.
And what a great time to start!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Go for it! It seems intimidating till you get into it and realize that (with the help of the study notes) ~ you GET it. Hugs, Kim
Being raised Catholic, I think I learned a very 'serious' way of reading the Bible from the nuns.
Perhaps that is why I turned away from the Catholic religion ... raised you and Tim Methodist (so you could get a different spin) but then went back to the Catholic church?
My sister, Karen, and I talk about the "Catholic girl guilt syndrome" all of the time.
My suggestion would be just to find a Bible or book you feel comfortable with (maybe go to the library) and get a book (or books) that speaks to you!?
I am absolutely thrilled that you are reaching out and meeting new friends! It will be great for the children to have some new playmates too!
One quick thought ~ www.biblegateway.com is an awesome resource. You can look up any verse in any translation. Example, The Message is a VERY easy way to read the bible. One of my favorite verses:
Matthew 7:26-27
"But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards." The Message
26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." NIV
When you come across a verse that speaks to you, check it out in different translations via Bible Gateway!
OK, we are SO late! Gotta Run, have a super day!!! :)
Post a Comment