Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our newest "investment"

*****Update*****
Derrick got home from work and went to let Max out and he was NOT BARKING!! Yay! This is such a big deal! The kids and I took him for a walk since Derrick had to go back to work and he did great. And they all got some energy out.
Mom, this was our neighbor to the left, actually it was the brother of one of those guys. However, the main guy next door came over to apologize to Derrick and they talked for a while, and then as I was getting ready to start the walk the yeller man pulled up and got out of his car. I was a little nervous, but he actually apologized for the way he handled it too and admited essentially that he has temper problems. Ya think? But anyway, he was very nice to all of us (and Max), so at least there isn't that weirdness anymore.
And if Max can keep this up it's going to be so awesome! I really think he was smart enough to learn from just those two times!



I was just thinking that this post deserves pictures, so I'm going to try to take one tonight to post at a later time so you get the full effect.

But here's the story behind our latest purchase.
We had an unfortunate "run -in" with our neighbors early Sunday morning over Max's barking.
Now, as a sidenote, let me just say this.
I DO totally get being angry over a dog barking. Really. And we try to be very aware of it and sensitive to it, as Max does have a crazy loud bark. So I get that it could wake up a neighbor or be disturbing. And I completely understand wanting to let the dog owner know it's not acceptable.
But what I don't think is necessary is literally getting in Derrick's face and screaming the "f word" over and over while Myles is standing RIGHT there. Fortunately, as intuitive as he is, this hasn't raised any questions or use of the word...yet.
On this particular morning we had JUST let Max out, so he had to have come over on the first bark he heard.

Regardless, the situation obviously needs to be handled. We talked seriously again about giving him to a new family, especially with our impending move on the horizon. I just can't bare to see him put down if he ended up in a shelter, so I'd want to know he was going to a good home.

As a last resort we did a little research and decided to get a bark collar. That was a memorable trip to Petsmart, let me tell ya.
So, we got home and I (perhaps a little too excitedly) put Max in a room and shut the door. He barked. And barked. Nothing.

Ugh.

So I took it off, re-read the manual, repositioned it and tried again. I put him back in the room.
He barked.
Then he yelped. (yay it works. is that the wrong reaction? LOL)
He barked again.
Then he yelped again.


AND HE HASN'T BARKED SINCE!!!!!

I think it's really working!!! The hardest part of it is the little metal probes have to stay in the exact right spot to work and it shifts easily, but it does work if it stays in place.
This morning I let him out and then put him in his room and NO BARKING!
Last night the doorbell on the tv rang and he did bark twice. There was no yelping, but he did also stop barking.

So we'll see. But I already dislike him a little less. (I've never been the biggest fan of this dog).

So cross your fingers for us. I hope this is the answer. Because there is no way we can take him to an apartment with this bark. I think the next couple of days will be the true test to see if he learns to "out smart it" if it keeps slipping.

But if it works, it's the best investment we've made in a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard that the bark collar can be a tool to stop unwanted barking. Beagles are known for their bark, I know. I don't think it will take too long for Max to figure it out. I suppose it is the same tool as an invisible fence which causes a dog to get a zap?

I am hoping if you put the word out that Max is looking for a good home (someone who can spend lots of time with him), it might be better for everyone?

I can imagine how surprised you were when the neighbor lost his cool and certainly the language was NOT acceptable;but perhaps it is an opening that you can use to help Myles deal with his anger in a more positive way by using this as an example of a way that is not okay?

Okay...I will get off my pulpit now.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to learn that that things worked out the way they did with everyone.

Max is a smart dog!

Sounds like everything will work out!

Max and Myles could also have their own TV show. "The Adventures of Myles and Max." I can envision it now!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ally, this all sounds awful. And, I totally get the concern you have for dogs in an apartment + young children. It's a lot to handle especially in winter when it's time to take them out & everyone has to bundle up to do so. I pray that you see a clear path to take with this.

Hope you are having a great day!
Hugs,
Kim