Myles' teacher called me tonight to discuss his first day and his sensory integration issues. Her youngest son (now grown) has the same thing, so it was very interesting to talk to her, and nice to know his teacher really "gets it".
Myles told her he was hungry today, and she was concerned about just how hungry he acted. Unfortunately he's still having issues eating, but it gave me the chance to discuss that with her and get her experienced point of view.
I think she's going to be really good for him, and I also feel very confident that he is yearning for the routine and structure school brings to his life. It brings a whole new set of things for him to worry about, but at the same time, I'm hoping it gets him back on track.
He and I talked tonight about making him a calendar, and we really need to do that. It helps him to know the plan.
This teacher doesn't seem as "sweet and tender" as Mrs. Stewart was (and who knows, maybe we'll just always have a soft spot for her as his first teacher), but I think she is his teacher for a reason. She isn't who he was initially assigned to, but due to a few events (that I know happened for a reason) he was changed to her class.
I know she's very interested in communicating with me and working as a team to discuss any issues that may arise at school. Although she'll probably rarely see any, it's nice to know she understands first hand what SID is all about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ally, I'm so glad that the teacher has some first-hand experience with that sort of thing. I pray that this is a wonderful thing for Myles. I almost called you tonight...I've been bawling like a baby bc we had to take Eli back to the hospital tonight. His doc told us to take him last week, and we kept putting it off, but today he had an episode at MY doc, whom I was seeing for my asthma, and my doc told me that he also agreed I needed to take him. He is just so OCD and will cry for hours if he thinks his shorts don't match his shirt and he can't stand to be in something that doesn't feel right, match (in his 4 year old opinion), or just fit the day's plans. I think this time he will be in for a longer amount of time then one week...Say a prayer for him.
I sent you a package today. I've been meaning to mail it since JUNE! I'm so horrible about getting stuff mailed!!! I miss ya Ally. Call me if you need me. Trust me, I know what it's like. Sometimes our children, although they are life's greatest joys, are life's greatest struggles and confusion. Love ya girl...
Stacey,
I can imagine how difficult it must be for you all right now....especially Eli. I WILL keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. It is so hard to see our children suffer I know.
Ally,
I agree Myles has this teacher for a reason. I feel it will be a good thing for him to have a teacher that understands him.
They say that brilliant children have struggles and march to the beat of a different drummer...look at Eienstien, Hemmingway, etc.
Eli and Myles have a lot to offer this world! I know it!
Post a Comment