Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The latest "episodes" with the kids

Gina. Oh, Gina.
Let me just say that my kids are so much like me. I don't know if that's good or not, but they both inherited different parts of my personality (and not necessarily the best parts).

Gina...the sweet, smart, loving, funny girl. She hates to upset you, but I think she does enjoy teasing you. She will cry if she thinks you're angry, but she sure does find new ways to test us.
The "napping issues" continued today as the kids returned to Cindy's. No playing with the contents of her diaper, no lipstick, no falling in a hamper. Just a totally naked Gina giggling and laughing, and laying on a soaked blanket.
Yes...totally naked. She took off all of her clothes...shirt, shorts and diaper...with no help. How does she do this? And why? I guess we'll be investing in some onesies with snaps and see if little Houdini gets out of that.

She is also learning all of her body parts...eyes, ears, nose, mouth, feet, etc. She's picked it up so quickly and loves that she has found another way to be center of attention and make us laugh. I want her to stay my baby forever, but seeing what this girl becomes will make it worth letting her grow up.

Myles. Sweet, silly, smart, Myles. He has inherited my food issues. When he's having a lot of issues with his SI or anxiety, he'll only eat certain textures...smooth. That means applesauce, yogurt, pancakes, bologna. He gags on food (always has) and his food issues have gotten increasingly worse at the sitters (this happens in phases, but this is the longest yet) to the point where he just cries through lunch and refuses to eat anything. For weeks. Which wouldn't be such a big deal if he wasn't also like me in that when he gets tired or hungry he is CRANKY. There is a point in which you basically have to force him to eat to switch his mood around. He cries at night worried about what he'll have to eat the next day. He is a little kid with a lot of anxiety, and food is one of his main sensory issues. And about the only thing he's able to control at this point in his life.

This morning I caught him in the bathroom, sitting on the vanity, and "doing" his hair. He wanted it spikey. He told me when it dries it will fall and he won't like it like that so he'll have to re-wet it. Oh my. Do they really get concerned about their looks at 4?
And where does he get this memory??? Yesterday Derrick and I had to go to the mall to run and errand. On the way there he asked where we were going and I told him. He says...oh yes. I remember the mall. They have shiny floors, but that's okay. I used to be scared of the shiny floor...I thought I would fall, but I'm much braver now, so it's okay". Uh...alrighty then. Kid hasn't been to the mall in a LONG time. But he did always hate the floors.

It's so funny how Myles and Gina are so similar yet so different, even at a young age. I love watching them grow and develop and learn. I love seeing them change each day. They are such a blessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you wish you had a picture of Myles doing his hair? I love the differences (that start SO early) between boys and girls! God definitely created them DIFFERENT! How funny that Myles is up for a trip to the mall.... I tucked Quentin and Lauren in bed last night and Lauren called me back to ask when we could go to the mall! We haven't gone since I had their Easter pictures taken. SO, we decided we needed to plan t trip and get a pretzel & and Icee! :) It would be fun to all go together some time!!!

Anonymous said...

I can just envision Myles being so sad and worried about eating but then envision the 'hair' thing.

Gina, she is a little dickens!

Miss you, love you!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting that we can see so much of ourselves in our kids and then wonder where "that' came from! Your kids are so much fun! I miss you all and can't wait to see you.
Marilyn