Friday, April 25, 2008

A larger force is clearly at work

When I read yesterday's daily devotion it was almost creepy enough to make me either cry or toss the book aside and never pick it up again. How does he KNOW what message you need?
So, I've become fascinated with this book. Today I decided that since we're in April I must have missed a lot already and decided to skim through the beginning of the book. I landed on January 4th.
It is entitled Worthless Worry. It says:
We worry. We worry about the IRS, and the SAT and the FBI...we worry that we won't have enough money, and when we have money we worry that we won't manage it well.....
Honestly now. Did God save you so you would fret? Would he teach you to walk just to watch you fall? Would he be nailed to the cross for your sins and then disregard your prayers? Come on. Is Scripture teasing us when it reads "He has put his angels in charge of you to watch over you whereever you go"?
I don't think so either.

Now some of you may know more than others how, shall we say, ironic that is. I mean, really.

So then I see January 5th. It's entitled A Complete Restoration.
At lunch yesterday Kim and I talked about how it's so easy to put on the "cosmetic front" of being a believer, but not really doing the work to make the necessary changes. That really hit home for me. I realized that most of my life I had been a Christian as it was convenient for me. If I needed something I was sure to call on God, but I didn't invite him to walk with me daily. It's time I do the work, as hard as it may seem now, to really invite him into my heart and make the changes I need to make to live up to his plans for me.

So, with that in mind, that devotion reads:
God loves to decorate. God HAS to decorate. Let him live long enough in a heart, and that heart will begin to change. Portrait of hurt will be replaced byh landscapes of grace. Walls of anger will be demolished and shak foundations restored. God can no more leave a life unchanged than a mother can leave her child's tear untouched.
This might explain some of the discomfort in your life. Remodeling of the heart is not always pleasant. We don't object when t he Carpenter adds a few shelves, but he's been known to gut the entire west wing. He has such high expectations for you. God envisions a complete restoration. He won't stop until he is finished. He wants you to be just like Jesus.

~~I mean, these devotions are not coincidence. It's so amazing to me. It's changing such small things. Today Myles wanted to turn on the sprinkler to water our grass seed. Knowing it was going to rain tonight, I didn't want him to. When he said why, I immediately replied "because God is going to water it for us". Now you all know that wouldn't be a typical response for me, as small as it is. And he gets it. He thinks it's so neat that God is going to do it for us. And Kim....he then said "yes...God will also make it night time and he put the stars in the sky". Do you remember that?
These are such exciting, scary, and wonderful times. Just today we had another "setback" and I'm so proud of myself for not falling into the trap. I know if I quit being bothered by the things that are thrown at me, that those forms of "attack" will most likely stop. If you're reading GOOTP, you saw in chapter three she talks about Satan using distractions to keep you away from God, then lets those distractions lead to addictions, and the addictions can ultimately cause destruction.
Money was definitely what was used to distract me. I let my own thinking patterns become addictive, to the point I felt they were close to destorying me. So today when Satan through another distraction my way I just didn't react. Just found another way around it. I have to say, I'm very proud of myself, and am almost glad that we *did* have the distraction, as frustrating as it could be, just so I got the opportunity to prove to myself that I can handle anything that comes my way.
It's amazing how in such a short time period my desire for more and more knowledge has become so strong!!
Derrick is probably wondering who abducted his anxious, fearful, and dare I say nagging wife and replaced her with someone that's calm...but I don't think he's complaining.
have a good night!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ally,
No, there are no coincidences when it comes to God working in our lives. The way you are letting God lead you is just thrilling to me. As for Myles, children truly reflect what they hear and feel around them. And Derrick could be nothing but relieved and proud.
Love you,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Allyson ~ I am so stinkin proud of you! Between your email yesterday and now this, I've shed more tears of joy than I think I have in my life. Praise God!!!! There is a LOT of dancing going on in Heaven right now over you!!!! I've always LOVED you as my sister, but WOO-HOO, we are SISTERS IN CHRIST!!!

I read this out loud so Tim could hear & he said, "the hairs are standing up all over my body!".

The Holy Spirit clearly gave you these words. He is alive inside you & you are submitting to Him! Oh my!

You are in for so much joy and such a thrill ride in your life now that you are being led by your Creator. You are going to seek His will and direction every morning and He is going to guide your ways.

Tim just said, "She's On FIRE!". And, you are. Just don't let that fire die! No one would be happier for you to get discouraged, frustrated, distracted or to let go than the enemy. Don't give him that satisfaction. You know who you are! Live it OUT LOUD! You are NEW IN CHRIST!

We love you like crazy and are just without words right now! Thank you for blessing us today! Stand firm!!!

Kim and Tim

Anonymous said...

Just let me second and third what Marilyn and Kim said! The really wonderful thing is this is all making us closer as a family! We are a small family and all need to stick together. I know when Tim was born the nursein the hospital gave me the poem..."Children Learn What They Live" to take home. I even framed it and hung it above his crib.I am sure you all have heard of it? We all know that we do the best we can with what we know. You, Kim and Tim are true teachers! I can learn so much from you younguns! Thank you!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Allyson,

I am so thankful that you have accepted Jesus into your heart. We are now sisters~in~Christ :o) Jesus will show you the way, read and study his words. The Bible is our road map in life. There will be hard times, you will be tested by Satan. People will test you and things will happen in life. Those are the times you need to surround yourself with God fearing, God loving people. The closer you get to Jesus the more Satan tempts you. You just hold on tight to Jesus, and never give up. Hold on for a bumpy, wonderful, emotional, blessing your socks off, life changing ride. Also, never forget the warm feeling you feel right now. You heart is so on fire, it is so amazing. I am so excited for you! Thanks for allowing me to walk with you on this journey!
Blessings,
Kelly