Sunday, February 15, 2009

What a day.

Derrick has had to work this weekend, which has thrown a kink in our plans. And I think it's exactly what I needed actually. I've been in a rut lately....in TOO much of a routine and just feeling bored and like I haven't had a lot of FUN mixed into the days.
Lately I've been thinking at night-after the kids go to sleep- about how I feel like I've just not been the mom I want to be. I'm losing my patience and getting irritable too easy and probably sound more like a drill sargeant than like the loving mom I want to be.
Yet, somehow, each morning I wake up and it seems like in no time flat I'm back to giving orders and feeling frustrated. It feels like life has just been taking a toll lately and left me feeling tired and in a funk.
So today I've really tried to be aware of it. The kids and I went to the grocery store (not as easy without Derrick along as usual--although somehow much faster:)) and made it through without any big issues. Just that was a success.
But I decided to stop on the way home and have lunch. And actually go INside, not just through a drive-thru. We even took time to have dessert---Hot Fudge Cake. We had a great time and I was so glad we did that.
We stopped by home to unload the groceries, do a few quick chores, and headed out again. We went to Petsmart to get nail trims for both of the dogs. Two kids and two dogs....I was pushing my luck on that one, wasn't I??
But with lots of Myles helps (it's so nice to have him be able to do more for me) we made it through that as well. And both of the dogs did great....even the groomer commented on it. Not a huge shock for Max, but Sophie usually ends up needing to be muzzled and she didn't even make a peep.
On the way home Max was feeling restless and just wouldn't sit still. Just kept whining and was drooling...excessively.
Myles started to scratch his back and sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to him. It's what he sings his sister when he was upset. Again, I tried to be aware of the moment and not just focus on the stress of the situation.
And everything was going great. Until we pulled in the driveway. Myles unbuckled his seat belt and hopped out...and somehow, at the exact same time I opened my car door...and hit him right in the side of the head knocking him over.
Just pass the mom of the year award this way, please.
It left an instant bruise, one very upset little boy, and lots of chaos as we had to get him, Gina and the two dogs in the house.
So I think I should just stop pressing my luck. I'm going to put Gina down for a nap and hope to have a little relaxation time with my boy before Derrick gets home.
Ahh...what a day.

3 comments:

Yolanda said...

Ally,

Don't give up, and remember His mercies are new every morning.

When you can, cut yourself, your Hubs and your children some slack, by choosing your battles and love always, love no matter what. Some times, it is DARN hard, but you'll truly be the better for it.

I pray that my words are encouraging, not endangering.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Joyce said...

Hi-

We moms are really hard on ourselves sometimes. Your day sounded nice and typical of a day with young kids. Filled with highs and lows, good and bad, moments of peace and moments of frustration. I bet your kids will someday look back at 'stopping for chocolate fudge cake with mom' and hold that as a happy childhood memory.

I read two blogs last week, both on the topic of mommy guilt. They were good. Here's a link if you want to check them out. It might encourage you to read what other moms say and to know you're not alone in the way you feel.

http://www.marlataviano.com/life/mommy-guilt/

http://brandiandboys.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/help-for-my-mommy-guilt/

Have a great day,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hey Ally,

I have found after watching patterns in my Mommy~hood (and life for that matter) experiences that it's true that I cannot give what I don't have. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self~Control (Galatians 5:22) all come from the Fruit of the Spirit.

And, once again that truth has been put to the test. Last week with my schedule being off, I decided to give up my Quiet Times. I wasn't sleeping well and I chose not to wake early. And, that Fruit from the Spirit? Went right out the window. My lesson? Give anything, anything else up (and there is a lot we can choose from) before our Quiet Time alone with our Daddy in Heaven.

I'm praying that you'll create that time with Him today my sweet Sister & that you'll be blessed.

Love you,
Kim