Monday, August 4, 2008

A long day

Today was a long day. I tend to use the blog as a chance to journal and get some stuff out, and since only those I really care about can see it, it's a good opportunity to do just that.
I went to work this morning while Derrick watched the kids, then the real estate agent came over, and once he left Derrick had to go to work. I must admit one of the things I've enjoyed about my job in the past was that it is relatively low pressure. As a working mom, it's great because I stay busy, but it's not so hectic I end up stressed and frazzled when I come home to be with the kids. Until lately anyway. Lately it's been crazy and busy and making it difficult to just enjoy work and put it behind me when I leave.
So anyway, after Derrick went to work, the kids and I went to the grocery store. Usually we grocery shop as a family so we can tag team everything, but today it just wasn't going to work. So I used the opportunity to go to a different store for a few specific items I can only get there, and wouldn't you know they were out of all of them? So frustrating.
But once we got back, the kids were both tired and fell asleep. I must admit, I do love when they take a nap at the same time! And a blessing of the day? Myles is relaxed by listening to KLove on the radio in his room. He was overly tired when we got home and acting it. But a few minutes in his room wiht KLove on, and he was fast asleep.
So, as the kids were sleeping, I got to thinking. I've been thinking a lot lately about why life is so complicated. Or at least seems to be so complicated for some, yet (at least from the outside) so relatively simple for others. Is it complicated because that's just the way life is, or do we just make it complicated? Over think things that really aren't as difficult as they seem?
I have a tendancy to stay so goal oriented and focused on my "to-do list" that I miss out on the fun in life. I treat life as one big to-do list and just check things off. I tend to "take life on" full force to a point that I inevitabley end up feeling exhausted for a day or two until I can regroup and get my focus back where it should be.
So that made me think-if we really want to be faith belivers and not just SAY we have faith when it's easy, than maybe we need to do less of the driving in life and more of the riding along in the passenger seat. Give up a little control to the only person that IS in control of it all. I guess life is all about finding that balance. The balance between listening to God and following his guidance vs. allowing him to work on things for a while.
If happiness really is a choice, then I guess we have to make that choice even when you aren't feeling it naturally. Even on a down day we can still choose to be happy and not let the events of life bring us down for long.
Have you noticed how infectious a smile is? Or laughter? I think it was designed that way. God uses us to lift each other up.
I am so blessed to have two young, funny kids that can make me see the simpler side of life and always provide an opportunity to laugh.
I think the new church we've been going to (twice now) is going to be great at pushing us outside of our comfort zone and leading us to do things in the community we wouldn't normally do. It's big enough to have those opportunities, but not so big that you can easily sit back and think "someone else will do that". And I just have a feeling that taking advantage of some volunteer opportunities in the community is exactly what I need to do. To help other people, especially children in need, and receive the blessings that come from helping others. The blessing of touching someone's life when they need it most, to take the focus off of ourselves and be truly aware of others and their circumstances (maybe to see it's not as simple as it appeared), and for the opportunity to be the person God uses to spread a smile.

Smile on. Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Ally, I am so sorry that you are in a season of life that just sucks! Sorry, but I can think of no better way to describe it. What lies ahead for a little while is going to take some endurance, hard work and faith. But, on the other side of that mountain? Is a beautiful sight for your eyes.

I am no financial genius (don't need to be with Tim as my hubby) nor a career counselor. But, what encouragement I'd like to share with you is this: The enemy would LOVE for this to be a time of pitty parties, a time of turning from the ignition of faith that God began in you, a time of giving up and letting life just take over, a time of making excuses and turning from all that needs to be done, a time of viewing the world as something that is out to get you.

But, you - YOU know way better. And, you are better than that. You are one of the most intelligent women I know. You have a beautiful, soft heart. You are so open to growth. You are a great mother who wants to provide love, encouragement, and a "home" to her children. And, YOU will tell the enemy to GET BEHIND YOU & watch OUT, bc you are about to turn this thing AROUND!

I hope (and if you aren't then there is NO condemnation) you are giving up some sleep in the morning as painful as that may be (particularly when you don't appreciate a good cup of coffee to get you going) (I will pray for you to fall in love with this caffienated gift that is straight from God) to meet with the Lord. To use your daily devotional, to get into the Word and to journal your prayers. I hope you will seek Him. That He will be your source. He will NEVER accept excuses or look for anyting less than your best, but He will never fail you. And, that the word you do receive from him, you will treasure and not let anyone take from you.

Well, I've written a book - and better just stop! But, I love you and believe in you and know that you are better than this!

I think we better make a lunch date asap.... the kiddos head back to school on 8/20 ~ let me know your schedule!

Tim and I love you like crazy and we believe in you! You are awesome and I cannot wait to chear for you when you are staning in victory over this season!