Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I've taken to watching grass grow.

We have been trying to get our lawn back in shape so we can keep up with all of the retired old men that live on our street and do nothing but take care of their lawn. Yes, our grass is sad. It's full of dandelions this year and just not thick.
Derrick put down the fertilizer with weed killer, and just laid new grass seed. Now it's become my new hobby. I turn on the sprinkler every night and every morning go check it out hoping it looks slightly better than the day before. It's sad really.
And why are kids so drawn to sprinklers? Myles BEGS to run through it and Gina just laughs so hard she squeals and walks around the driveway in circles. She's like a wet dog after a bath chasing it's tail. She's so excited she doesn't know what to do.
It's funny how I'm now aware of things I didn't notice before, let alone care about. I'm trying to be more "present" and "just be". When I'm outside with the kids, I'm trying to actually enjoy them, toss a ball around, etc. That's what led to the realization that our front yard is not quite up to par. I think our grass and garden knows it's been abandoned by it's former green thumb care taker, and it's sad.
So, I'm hoping this year we get some nicer grass in, and we plan on digging up the garden and replanting it and putting some pots around. Should be fun. Or have I just gotten old?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just envision you out working in the yard and the 'little old retired men' doing the same! I also just remembered that I was worked in the SAME front yard when I was your age....and YOU and Tim were the ones playing and having a good time! Brings back lots of memories. How time flies! Enjoy each stage and age.

Love,
Mom